The definite article THE is the most frequent word in English.
We use the definite article in front of a noun when we believe the listener/reader knows exactly what we are referring to.
Table of contents of this lesson: Definite articles
Learn FREE with videos and interactive exercises
Definite articles - Video
WATCH THE VIDEO AND REPEAT:
"JOHN AND SARAH ARE IN THE GARDEN.
THE FLOWERS IN THE GARDEN ARE DAISIES.
NOW JOHN AND SARAH LOOK UP TO THE SKY
AND THEY ARE HAPPY BECAUSE THE SUN IS BRIGHT."
The definite article THE is used:
- before singular nouns
- before plural nouns
- when the noun is specific or particular.
The noun is definite when it refers to a particular item or member of a group.
- Apples are good. - I want the apples that you have.
- Flowers are beautiful - The flowers in my garden are beautiful.
- I love blue hats - The hat on the armchair is blue.
Download the worksheet below to learn and practise!
Use THE before:
- nouns related to house and garden
- mountains, sky, air, country
- office, bank, disco.
- We are in the kitchen. - We play in the garden.
- We are in the mountains. - Birds sing in the sky.
- Mary is in the office. - I go to the bank. - My friends go to the disco.
Download the worksheet below to practise these new rules!
Never use THE before:
- specific nouns like College, Hospital, School, Televsion/TV, University, Work
- years, days, festivity
- individual mountains and lakes
- Mr, Miss, Mrs, Doctor
- continents, countries, islands, languages.
- I go to school every day. - Robert is watching TV. - Jim is working in hospital.
- Jim was born in 2015. - Shops are closed on Sundays. - I work all week. - Christmas Day is on 25 December.
- Lake Como is beautiful. - Mount Everest is very high.
- Miss Smith is nice. - Doctor House is late.
- Italy is beautiful. - Sicily is an island. - French is a beautiful language.
Download the worksheet below to learn how to perfectly use THE!
Watch out! You can use THE before:
- The United States of America / The USA
- The United Kingdom / The UK
- The Netherlands
- The Philippines.
- I live in the United States of America.
- I study in the Netherlands.
- There are beautiful beaches in the Philippines.
Download the worksheet below to learn all the exceptions!