We use prepositions of place to say where things are.
Here you have some prepositions:
Table of contents of this lesson: Prepositions of place
Prepositions of place - Video
WATCH THE VIDEO AND REPEAT:
"LISA, CLAIRE, SAM AND TOM ARE AT SCHOOL.
THEY ARE PLAYING HIDE-AND-SEEK IN THE PARK NEXT TO THE SCHOOL.
LISA IS HIDING ON THE TREE. CLAIRE IS HIDING UNDER THE SLIDE.
SAM IS HIDING BEHIND THIS BUSH AND TOM IS COUNTING TO 10 IN FRONT OF THE WALL."
We use AT for a POINT:
- I am at school. - Io sono a scuola.
- She is at home. - Lei è a casa.
We use IN for an ENCLOSED SPACE:
- He is in the kitchen. - Lui è in cucina.
- They are in the bedroom. - Loro sono in camera da letto.
We use ON for a SURFACE:
- The book is on the table. - Il libro è sul tavolo.
We use UNDER when one object is covered by another:
- He hides under the covers. - Lui si nasconde sotto le coperte.
We use IN FRONT OF when someone/something is facing someone/something:
- She parks her car in front of my house. - Lei parcheggia la sua auto davanti a casa mia.
BEHIND is the opposite of IN FRONT OF:
- She parks her car behind my car. - Lei parcheggia la sua auto dietro la mia.
We use NEXT TO when someone or something is at the side of another person or thing:
- The bride stands next to the groom. - La sposa è accanto allo sposo.
We use NEAR when there is more of a distance between the two persons or objects:
- My house is near the school. - Casa mia è vicina alla scuola.
We use BETWEEN when something or someone is in the middle of two other things or persons:
- Oscar is sitting between Lisa and Albert. - Oscar è seduto tra Lisa e Albert.
We use AMONG when something or someone is in the middle of three or more other things or persons:
- Claire is sitting among other patients. - Claire è seduta tra altri pazienti.
Learn how to use prepositions of place
Now you know the most important prepositions of place.
Download the worksheet below and practise!